This BBQ Hotplate Kit expands your 700 series Z Grills smoker capabilities to include hotplate cooking and even high temperature searing of a steak.
The kit includes:
- 2 x Cast iron hotplates with smooth and ridged sides
- Handle to easily lift out the hotplates
- Aluminium tray that fits front to back in place of the grill rack
Both of the plates are reversible. The smooth is side great for doing bacon and eggs, onions rings or hamburger patties, while the ridged side is perfect for searing some cool lines into a steak!
The BBQ Hotplate Kit is designed to fit front to back in 7002B, 700E and 700E-XL grill models, but the hotplates can be used in any grill or even over a campfire!
HOT TO USE
Remove the whole grill rack, or just the left hand grill rack (if grill has twin grill racks) and drop the BBQ Hotplate Kit at the far left of the grill.
Start the grill as normal and set the target temperature. For hotplate cooking or searing a steak, set to the grill highest temperature setting, 232ºC. Depending on the outside temperature and wind, the grill should reach above 200ºC in 15 to 20 minutes at which point the hotplate will be close to 250ºC ready for cooking.
OPENING THE LID OFTEN
If opening the lid often during the high temperature cook, drop the temperature setting to 190ºC. This will help avoid an excessively big fire and temperature spikes as as each time the lid is opened cold air enters the drum and will trigger more wood pellets to be delivered into the fire-pot.
Even at this “lower” setting the grill will be maintaining a very high temperature.
DROP THE TEMP AFTER COOKING
After operating the grill at a high temperature, always drop the grill to a lower temperature setting (121ºC or lower) for at least 10 minutes to allow the fire to die down, before turning to shut down cycle.
- The rear hotplate will be hotter than the front hotplate, especially if the lid is opened often.
- For searing a steak, when flipping it over, move to a fresh (hot) section of the plate.
- The BBQ Hotplate handle is great for lifting out the hotplate, but take extreme care if the metal is still hot. The hotplate will stay hot for a long time!
- Never pour cold liquid on the hotplate when very hot as the rapid contraction can cause it to crack.
- Be generous with oil when using the the hotplate. This will help with heat transfer, reduce sticking, but also help to further season the plate.
- Avoid using metal utensils on the hotplate, instead use plastic or wooden ones.
- Don’t open the lid too often, or if you must, drop the temperature setting to 190º C to avoid temperature spikes. The grill will maintain a very high temperature.
EASY TO CLEAN AND SAFER COOKING One of the key reasons using a hotplate is better than open flames on a pellets smoker is ease of cleaning. Having food and fat dripping down into the grill drum is not a good idea as it creates a huge cleaning job as it mixes with the fire ash.
SEASONING AND COOKING
Like any cast iron cook-wear, additional oil seasoning before first use and then proper cleaning and oiling after each use will result in super durable and not stick cooking surface.